Forest Research is Great Britain’s principal organisation for forestry and tree related research and is internationally renowned for the provision of evidence and scientific services in support of sustainable forestry. Forest Research works for and with many Government departments, all the devolved administrations, forestry and land management stakeholders, environmental NGO’s, the European Union and internationally.
To be recognised as a leading provider of applied forest and tree-related science, forestry data services, policy evidence, technical development, specialist extension services and professional training.
- To provide evidence and expertise to inform the development and delivery of UK, Welsh, Scottish and European forestry related policies
- To provide innovative applied research, development, monitoring, scientific services, forestry data services and professional training to UK, European and international forestry stakeholders
- To facilitate knowledge exchange directly, and/or in partnership with others, to UK, European and international audiences
- To be the preferred supplier to the UK, Scottish and Welsh governments for forestry science as a result of its quality of service, value for money and reputation with the sector
- To work in partnership with others to promote the development and uptake of tree and forest science expertise
Our work is founded on the principle that research and evidence are central to informed policy-making and sustainable land management practices. Our priorities are to provide the science and evidence to:
- Protect our trees and forests;
- Enhance forest ecosystem resilience and service provision;
- Ensure sustainable management and adaptation of our forests to climate change;
- Effect knowledge exchange and;
- Grow our business