The provisional figures that are presented in this release have now been replaced by the final figures included in Forestry Statistics 2021.
The latest National Statistics on woodland produced by Forest Research were released on 17 June 2021 according to the arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority.
The First Release 'Provisional Woodland Statistics: 2021 Edition' contains provisional statistics for the year to March 2021 on:
- UK woodland area;
- certified woodland area;
- areas of new planting and publicly funded restocking; and
- projects registered under the Woodland Carbon Code.
The main findings are:
- The area of woodland in the UK at 31 March 2021 is estimated to be 3.23 million hectares. This represents 13% of the total land area in the UK, 10% in England, 15% in Wales, 19% in Scotland and 9% in Northern Ireland.
- Of the total UK woodland area, 0.86 million hectares is owned or managed by Forestry England, Forestry and Land Scotland, Natural Resources Wales or the Forest Service (in Northern Ireland).
- The total certified woodland area in the UK at 31 March 2021 is 1.41 million hectares, including all Forestry England/Forestry and Land Scotland/Welsh Government Woodland Estate/Forest Service woodland. Overall, 44% of the UK woodland area is certified.
- Around thirteen thousand hectares of newly created woodland were reported in the UK in 2020-21.
- Around fourteen thousand hectares of publicly-funded woodland restocking were reported in the UK in 2020-21.
- Woodland Carbon Code projects in the UK that were validated (including those that were also verified) were predicted to sequester a total of 5.7 million tonnes of carbon dioxide over their lifetime of up to 100 years. This represents 4.5 million tonnes in Scotland, 981 thousand tonnes in England, 218 thousand tonnes in Wales and 11 thousand tonnes in Northern Ireland.
Coverage: United Kingdom
Geographical breakdown: England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland
Longer time series data:
Quality: Quality report: Woodland Statistics
Statistician: Sheila Ward
Contact: Robert Stagg
Tel: 0300 067 5238
30 September 2021 - Final results for (the year to) March 2021 will be published in Forestry Statistics 2021 and Forestry Facts & Figures 2021.
16 June 2022 - Provisional figures for (the year to) March 2022 will be published in the 2022 Edition of this release.
Information on pre-release access to this publication can be found in the pre-release access page.
More detailed information on the methodology for estimating woodland area is provided in the sources chapter of Forestry Statistics 2019. The estimates make use of the National Forest Inventory data. Further information (including reports) on the National Forest Inventory is avaliable on the Inventory pages.
Prior to the 2019 edition of Provisional Woodland Statistics, the reported figues were published in two seperate releases:
- Woodland Area, Planting and Publicly Funded Restocking; and
- Woodland Carbon Code Statistics (previously released on a quarterly basis).
Early provisional results for UK woodland area, certified woodland area and areas of new planting and publicly funded restocking were provided in the First Release Woodland Area, Planting and Publicly Funded Restocking published every June:
- Woodland Area, Planting and Publicly Funded Restocking: 2018 Edition
- Woodland Area, Planting and Publicly Funded Restocking: 2017 Edition
- Woodland Area, Planting and Restocking: 2016 Edition
- Woodland Area, Planting and Restocking: 2015 Edition
Woodland Carbon Code releases provided statistics for projects registered under the Woodland Carbon Code and were released quarterly until Spring 2018:
- Woodland Carbon Code Statistics: Data to March 2018; Excel tables
- Woodland Carbon Code Statistics: Data to December 2017; EXCEL tables
- Woodland Carbon Code Statistics: Data to September 2017; EXCEL tables
- Woodland Carbon Code Statistics: Data to June 2017; EXCEL tables
- Woodland Carbon Code Statistics: Data to March 2017; EXCEL tables
- Woodland Carbon Code Statistics: Data to December 2016; EXCEL tables
- Woodland Carbon Code Statistics: Data to September 2016; EXCEL tables
- Woodland Carbon Code Statistics: Data to June 2016; EXCEL tables
- Woodland Carbon Code Statistics: Data to March 2016; EXCEL tables
In order to improve the statistics that we produce and to ensure that they remain relevant, we are interested in hearing from people who use our statistics. More information on how we consult users and contact details can be found on our user engagement page.