The latest National Statistics on UK Wood Production and Trade: 2020 provisional figures, produced by the Forestry Commission were released on 13 May 2021 according to the arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority.
These statistics include data on production, imports and exports of roundwood and wood products for the UK for the calendar years 2016 to 2020.
The key points for 2020 from the latest release are (with percentage changes from 2019):
Removals (harvesting) of UK roundwood:
- 10.0 million green tonnes of softwood (+2%);
- 0.8 million green tonnes of hardwood (-5%).
Deliveries of UK roundwood to wood processors and others:
- Total: 10.8 million green tonnes of roundwood (softwood and hardwood)
(-2%), of which:
- Sawmills: 6.0 million green tonnes (unchanged);
- Wood-based panels: 1.2 million green tonnes (-5%);
- Integrated pulp and paper mills: 0.4 million green tonnes (-17%);
- Other uses, including round fencing, wood fuel, shavings and exports of roundwood: 3.2 million green tonnes (-4%);
Production of wood products in the UK included:
- 3.4 million cubic metres of sawnwood (-2%);
- 3.0 million cubic metres of wood-based panels (-9%);
- 3.6 million tonnes of paper and paperboard (-6%);
- 0.3 million tonnes of wood pellets and briquettes (+1%).
- 7.2 million cubic metres of sawnwood (3%);
- 3.3 million cubic metres of wood-based panels (-10%);
- 9.1 million tonnes of wood pellets (+2%);
- 5.3 million tonnes of pulp and paper (-10%);
- The total value of wood product imports was £7.5 billion (-10%).
- The total value of wood product exports was £1.5 billion (-10%).
Apparent consumption of wood products in the UK included:
- 10.4 million cubic metres of sawnwood (+1%);
- 5.8 million cubic metres of wood-based panels (-10%);
- 9.4 million tonnes of wood pellets (+3%);
- 7.2 million tonnes of paper (-10%).
Coverage: United Kingdom
Geographical breakdown: Some statistics are available by country and English region
- Wood production (roundwood removals) - Excel / ODS,
- UK roundwood deliveries - Excel / ODS,
- UK sawmills - Excel / ODS,
- Sawmills in England (regional results) - Excel / ODS,
- Round fencing manufacturers - Excel / ODS.
If you require access to earlier estimates, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Quality Assurance of Administrative Data (May 2021):
Statistician: Sheila Ward
Contact: Robert Stagg
Tel: 0300 067 5238
- Final figures for 2020 will be released in Forestry Statistics 2021 and Forestry Facts and Figures 2021 on 30 September 2021.
- Provisional figures for 2021 will be released in UK Wood Production and Trade: 2021 provisional figures on 19 May 2022.
Information on pre-release access to Forestry Commission official statistics can be found on our pre-release access pages, including lists of the individuals who are given pre-release access to specific publications.
A review of the methodology used to estimate the quantity of UK softwood removals from woodland that is not owned or managed by the Forestry Commission (in Great Britain) or the Forest Service (in Northern Ireland) was undertaken in 2011-2012. The paper Methodology Review of Softwood Removals from Non-FC/ FS Woodland presents the results from this review and the implications of the change in methodology. UK Wood Production and Trade: 2011 provisional figures is the first release where the new methodology was used.
These timber and trade statistics are produced with the assistance and advice of the Expert Group on Timber and Trade Statistics.
Early provisional results are provided in the First Release UK Wood Production and Trade (provisional figures), published every May.
The final results are published every September in Foresty Statistics, and summarised in Forestry Facts and Figures.
In order to improve the statistics that we produce and to ensure that they remain relevant, we are interested in hearing from people who use our statistics. More information on how we consult users and contact details can be found on our user engagement page.