The latest National Statistics on forestry produced by the Forestry Commission were released on 27 September 2018 according to the arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority.
Detailed statistics are published in the web publication Forestry Statistics 2018, with an extract in Forestry Facts & Figures 2018. They include UK statistics on woodland area, planting, timber, trade, climate change, environment, recreation, employment and finance & prices as well as some statistics on international forestry. Where possible, figures are also provided for England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
The key points from the latest releases are:
- The woodland area in the United Kingdom in 2018 is 3.17 million hectares; 1.38 million hectares (43%) are independently certified as sustainably managed.
- Nine thousand hectares of new woodland were created in the UK in 2017-18.
- 11.2 million green tonnes of UK roundwood (softwood and hardwood) were delivered to primary wood processors and others in 2017, representing a 2% increase from the previous year.
- Wood products imported into the UK in 2017 were valued at £7.8 billion and included 7.9 million cubic metres of sawnwood, 3.4 million cubic metres of wood-based panels, 6.9 million tonnes of wood pellets and 5.6 million tonnes of paper.
- The Annual Business Survey reported average employment in 2016 of 17 thousand in forestry and 27 thousand in primary wood processing.
- Gross Value added (GVA) in primary wood processing (sawmilling, panels and pulp & paper) was £1.52 billion in the UK in 2016. GVA in forestry was £0.59 billion.
- The UK was the second largest net importer (imports less exports) of forest products in 2016, behind China.
Coverage: United Kingdom
Geographical breakdown: England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland
PDFs of individual chapters can also be dowloaded below:
- Chapter 1 - Woodland area and planting
- Chapter 2 - Timber
- Chapter 3 - Trade
- Chapter 4 - UK forests and climate change
- Chapter 5 - Environment
- Chapter 6 - Recreation
- Chapter 7 - Employment & Businesses
- Chapter 8 - Finance & Prices
- Chapter 9 - International Forestry
- Background information (Introduction, Glossary and Sources)
Data: All tables are available to download from the Forestry Statistics publication. In addition, longer time series data for some topics are available from the data downloads page on our website.
Statistician: Sheila Ward
Contact: Robert Stagg
tel: 0300 067 5238
Next update: 26 September 2019
Pre-release access: Information on pre-release access to this publication can be found in the pre-release access pages.
Exprimental Statistics on UK Softwood Removals and Deliveries by Country, 2015-2016 were released on 8 February 2018. The release provides a further analysis of wood production statistics that were released in Chapter 2 of Forestry Statistics 2017. Tables from this release are also available in EXCEL format.
Earlier publications are also available, but please note that figures are subject to revision in subsequent releases.
Forestry Facts & Figures: