This project aims to provide information to growers and processors about the wood properties, timber potential and likely merchantable volume of these species which are increasingly being considered for use in future forests.
- To identify suitable commercial stands of these species and obtain more extensive test sample material than has previously been available to researchers.
- To undertake wood strength, stiffness and density measurements both on small clearwood test pieces and also structural-sized timber.
- To provide more extensive data on the wood properties and mechanical performance of these species when grown under British conditions.
Samples are being tested and the data are currently being analysed.
Funding and partners
National forestry policies and strategies
- Scotland's Forestry Strategy 2019–2029
- Roots for Further Growth: An economic strategy for Scotland’s Forest & Timber Technologies Sector to 2030
- (In England) the Government Forestry Policy Statement
- Woodlands for Wales Forest Strategy (2018)
- Wood stiffness, strength and density testing
- Acoustic velocity testing (predicts stiffness)
- X-ray densitometry (ring width and within-ring density)