Each year the Forestry Commission, with the support of the Expert Group on Timber and Trade Statistics, conducts the following surveys to collect data on the UK timber industry:
- Private Sector Softwood Removals Survey
- Sawmill Survey
- Survey of Round Fencing Manufacturers
- Survey of Pellet and Briquette Production
The information from these surveys, together with data collected from other sources (e.g. trade associations), is then used to produce statistics to monitor the state of the timber industry and the balance between supply and demand. These statistics have a range of uses, including:
- providing information about the economy;
- informing policy and programme development;
- informing policy and programme evaluation & monitoring;
- promoting the benefits of forestry.
In addition, the statistics contribute to international statistics on wood production and trade.
Information for businesses participating in our surveys
Requests for 2018 data are being issued in the week commencing 21 January 2019. Please retain the reference number provided in your request to enable you to complete the survey online. If you have lost your reference number, please contact us (see below), or include your contact details in the comments box at the end of the online survey.
By completing the questionnaire, you will help ensure that these statistics are accurate and of maximum value to the industry and to your business.
All data provided will be treated in the strictest confidence and will be aggregated with data from other businesses so that it will not be possible to identify an individual business in any publication or other report. The data will not be used for any purposes other than the publication of statistics.
Completing the surveys online
To complete the surveys online, simply click on the relevant link from the list below, then enter your reference number and other data, as required. If you wish to print a copy of your completed questionnaire you will be given the option to do so once you have completed and submitted the survey.
- Sawmill survey - sawmill closed
- Sawmill survey (sawmills with sawnwood production less than 25,000 m3)
- Sawmill survey (sawmills with sawnwood production of 25,000 m3 or more)
- Survey of round fencing manufacturers
- Private sector softwoods removals survey
- UK Pellet & Briquette Production
We also collect data on roundwood consumed for shavings, roundwood and chip exports, and brash removals. If you have received a request for data on any of these topics please use the relevant link below to complete the questionnaire.
- Roundwood consumed for shavings
- Roundwood (pulpwood and logs) and chip exports
- Brash removals from the forest
You can use the comments box at the end of the questionnaire to provide any further explanation of the figures you have supplied. You can also use the comments box to tell us about any remarks you may have about the online questionnaires. We would welcome any comments on these surveys as it will help us to improve the questionnaires for the future.
Results from these surveys are published annually in:
- UK Wood Production and Trade (provisional figures) - available in May;
- Forestry Statistics - available in September;
- Forestry Facts & Figures - available in September.
Forestry Statistics also includes further information on our surveys (see the Sources chapter).
More information on our surveys, including copies of previous questionnaires, information on changes to questionnaires, quality reports, methodology notes and reviews is available here.
If you have any queries on the surveys, please contact us:
- by e-mail to email@example.com or
- by telephone on 0300 067 5238