New approach for evaluating options for climate change adaptions in forestry - Action Expiration Chart
Evaluation of robust climate change adaptation options for forest planning, management, and policy making using new approach.
Towards robust projections of European forests under climate change
Improved understanding of climate change projections for European forests – from models to stakeholders.
Climate change adaptation
How woodland management can adapt in anticipation of climate change
Land Use and Ecosystem Services
The research aims to increase our understanding of how woodlands and wooded landscapes provide a diverse range of ecosystem services (ES), and to help policymakers, forest managers and planners understand and assess how the specific placement and management of woodlands affects ES delivery at various scales.
- Leading the development and implementation of a new climate change adaptation approach - Future Forest Management Pathways (FFMP), which helps to identify suitable adaptation options under deep uncertainty
- Developing a model for Dothistroma needle blight impacts on pines, which is sensitiveto climate change
- Leading the task group on uncertainty review in climate change modelling studies, and contributing to climate change disturbance review and bridging the gap between stakeholders in the PROFOUND COST action
- Coordinating forest ecosystem service assessment for forests in England under climate change
Resilience and risk perceptions
- Developing forest resilience and recovery measuresusing historical Forest Condition Survey dataset (part of Future Proofing Plant Health DEFRA project) together with colleagues from JNCC
- Exploring future biotic threats to oak ecosystems through horizon scanning and adaptive management pathways (part of protecting oak ecosystems (PuRpOsE) project - funded by BBSRC)
- Developing approach for assessing landowners risk perception of Oak processionary moth (part of DEFRA "Landowner attitudes to risk and a risk-based approach to managing Oak Processionary Moth")
Ray, D., Petr, M., Mullett, M., Bathgate, S., Marchi, M., Beauchamp, K. (2017). A simulation-based approach to assess forest policy options under biotic and abiotic climate change impacts: A case study on Scotland’s National Forest Estate. For. Policy Econ. doi:10.1016/j.forpol.2017.10.010
Seidl, R., Thom, D., Kautz, M., Martin-Benito, D., Peltoniemi, M., Vacchiano, G., Wild, J., Ascoli, D., Petr, M., Honkaniemi, J., Lexer, M.J., Trotsiuk, V., Mairota, P., Svoboda, M., Fabrika, M., Nagel, T.A., Reyer, C.P.O. (2017). Forest disturbances under climate change. Nat. Clim. Chang. 7, 395–402. doi:10.1038/nclimate3303 https://www.nature.com/articles/nclimate3303
Petr, M., Ray, D., 2017. Evaluating Options for Robust Forest Adaptation to Climate Change. Q. J. For. 111, 183–187.
Ray, D., Peace, A., Moore, R., Petr, M., Grieve, Y., Convery, C. &Ziesche, T. (2016). Improved prediction of the climate-driven outbreaks of Dendrolimus pini in Pinus sylvestris forests. Forestry 89, 230-244. doi:10.1093/forestry/cpw007 https://academic.oup.com/forestry/article/89/2/230/2465934
Petr, M., Boerboom, L. G. J., Ray, D., & van der Veen, A. (2015). Adapting Scotland’s forests to climate change using an action expiration chart. Environmental Research Letters, 10(10), 105005. doi:10.1088/1748-9326/10/10/105005 http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/10/10/105005
Petr, M., Boerboom, L., Ray, D., and van der Veen, A. (2015) New climate change information modifies frames and decisions of decision makers: an exploratory study in forest planning. Regional Environmental Change. Published online 24 July 2015.
Petr, M. (2014, June 27). Climate change, uncertainty, and consequent risks: opportunities for forest management adaptation in Britain. Enschede, The Netherlands. PhD thesis, doi:10.3990/1.9789036536950,
Petr, M., Boerboom, L. G. J., van der Veen, A., & Ray, D. (2014). A spatial and temporal drought risk assessment of three major tree species in Britain using probabilistic climate change projections. Climatic Change, 124(4), 791–803. doi:10.1007/s10584-014-1122-3,
Petr, Michal, Boerboom, L., Ray, D., & Van der Veen, A. (2014). An uncertainty assessment framework for forest planning adaptation to climate change. Forest Policy and Economics, 41, 1–11. doi:10.1016/j.forpol.2013.12.002
Mason, W., Petr, M., & Bathgate, S. (2012). Silvicultural strategies for adapting planted forests to climate change: from theory to practice. J. For. Sci, 2012(6), 265–277. Retrieved from http://www.agriculturejournals.cz/publicFiles/66812.pdf
Petr, M., Patenaude G. and Suárez, J.C. (2008). ‘Forest stand volume: can existing laser scanning methods based on the conventional one provide better results, a comparison of 2 approaches’. Lecture Notes in Geoinformation and Cartography. Lars Bernard (Ed).